Sunday, November 6, 2011

Thankfulness


Recently one of my closest friends noted that I am “a very busy man”. It is true, my roles and their respective responsibilities tend to keep my time occupied.  When I am not operating in my role as a substance abuse counselor I am normally doing something commensurate with the duties of the pastorate.  And when my role of pastor is not requiring specific time in service or meetings or preparation for the meetings, I tend to fill the void with the responsibilities of my role as President of New Wine Ministries.  Thrown on top of these responsibilities are the very real needs which surround my being a husband, father, and grandfather. Like many I know, my schedule is full and my time is limited – which leads me to what I want to share today. 
        Truth be told, were it not for some very key players in my world, I would not be able to do what I do.  First of all, my ‘higher power’ is Jesus Christ – without him to turn to and to converse with, I would surely lose myself in the chaos and quagmires of life. Secondly, there is my bride – the woman who proves on a daily basis that she is for me and not against me.  Marie is my helpmate and my partner, adeptly picking up the pieces I leave behind and performing tasks for me needing to get done, that honestly I have ignored, or knew about and had forgotten altogether. Thirdly, there are a host of support persons within the ministry, both domestic and international – you know who you are.  You are my go to people.  The ones I count on for innumerable tasks from the mundane to the creative, and the ones in which I am so very seldom disappointed. Most of you operate tirelessly behind the scenes with little or no fanfare.  
        As I write, I find the “key player” list just grows – my beautiful daughter, who for 17 years has given me reason to keep going when I’ve lost my way – my mother, who gave me life and has kept on giving life each time I hear her voice or feel her embrace over the 52 winters of my experience – Christie, who cared enough to theologically spar and ultimately challenge me even when she trembled inwardly at how her challenge might play out – Hannah, who offered true friendship during the most traumatic period of my life – Grandma, who gifted me with a no matter what kind of belief in me – and Lowell, who was willing to see past my idiosyncrasies and insecurities long enough to embrace me as a friend and a brother.  
       For all of you who are mentioned and for the many I have mentioned only in the recesses of my mind and heart, I AM SO VERY THANKFUL! 

1 comment:

  1. Isn't it amazing how God puts the right people into our lives at just the right time? HIS TIMING IS PERFECT!!! He knows our every need, even before we do, and he meets that need. How blessed are we to be so loved. Thank you sweet Jesus.

    ReplyDelete