Thursday, November 10, 2011

Hope you don't mind

 A while ago now there was an event on church property. A simple car wash. Nothing fancy. But the money raised went to help local veterans struggling with addiction and in need of medicine and travel money to get to their respective physicians.
       One of the veterans, in need of using the facilities, asked if I would unlock the sanctuary door for him. "Of course", I replied. Now I'm honestly not certain how long he was inside. Yet clearly, upon his exit, this particular veteran was feeling as if he had transgressed in some way and was feeling some culpability.
       As our eyes finally met, the man said sheepishly, "Hope you don't mind but I did a little praying in your sanctuary."
      Mind?  What are you kidding me?  Of course I mind!  There will be no praying in the sanctuary. Never. Ever!
      Actually, while I didn't say the above, neither did any great or witty comment emerge from the chasm of my open mouth. All that toppled forth over my tongue was a lame, "Don't mind at all."
      The more I consider this simple exchange the more I'm convinced there are only two possible reasons for this man to feel the way he did. The first potential reason is sad -- the second is far more troublesome and even horrible to consider.
      Perhaps this veteran, for reasons of his own, does not feel worthy to enter a church and have a conversation with God. Now that is sad given the Bible professes that God so loves the world that His Son died for our sin -- mine, yours, and this veteran's.
      Or maybe, just maybe, this veteran was concerned that the church wouldn't think too kindly of him praying in the sanctuary  because of the color of his skin or the gravity of his sin.
     Sound preposterous?  I don't know, I've known a great many folk who are disenfranchised from the church because of the way they have been treated. Like Ghandi, they think very highly of Jesus but don't see much of a resemblance in the eyes of those who follow him.
     Someone famous has said, the church is the only institution on earth that can give God a bad name. It gives me pause when I think that I make up a small part of that institution -- that I have, by my actions or lack thereof, put a blemish on the face of God.
     Today, all I can do is make apology for the past and move forward in hope that in the future I will do better ... That I will be a better witness for God. Isn't it amazing that God doesn't stop with second chances? Hope you don't mind but I think Jesus has been doing a little praying for all of us.

2 comments:

  1. Very much in line with your blog, yesterday, I had a conversation with a young woman who professed to love Jesus, yet had a great deal of difficulty in "being" a Christian. Why? Because of rejection and shunning and being made to feel unworthy inside of her church. You see, this young woman had a child out of wedlock, and her church, including her parents, shunned her. She didn't get it at all when she went on to say ... "All have sinned ..."

    Fortunately for this young woman, she pressed on, and found another church, which embraced the Gospel of forgiveness, and walked in the love prompted by their own sins being forgiven by our merciful Jesus.

    Yet, she struggles with "why" so many Christians don't understand forgiveness at all.

    To be sure, it is baffling!

    To be sure, where we have "put a blemish on the face of God", I vote to go get some acne cream, and bring a smile back to His Face through our grace-motivated actions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah how I love a smile on the Rabbi's face!

    ReplyDelete